No new knitting today to report, so I thought I would repost this papier mache bowl which I made during the summer. I still haven't added the beads, but will report AGAIN when I do. (I have so many unfinished projects!) This was great fun to do, and I will probably try it again, but I prefer the warmer weather because then I work outside and it dries so much faster. The actual form I used was a hard plastic bowl. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how and when you look at it), I didn't account for the narrowing at the top, and was unable to remove the piece from the form without ripping it. Hence the uneven edges (which I love, by the way..... so I guess fortunately would be the correct word). I filled in the ripped spaces not even trying to even things out or reshape it. An accident, but I love it. The inspiration for this project came from a beautiful gift that Belinda gave me - 3 smaller bowls for my knitting and crocheting which I keep on my coffee table. I just fell in love with the idea and had to made a 'mother' for them.
The painting was done in 3 stages using acrylics. I first used greens and yellows .... yuck. Painted over the green parts with pinks and reds .... better. Painted over most of the yellows, but not all, with white and more red, orange and pink. Seven coats of varnish later..... Voila! I felt very free of any rules working this whole project - good for the soul.