Picking a method of assembly was a bit of a challenge. I really thought that crocheting the pieces together would be the way to go, but after working several borders and putting the resulting pieces together, it was very messy looking. I left those squares and began sew them together, but that put every square too close together. Then I tried picking up the edge stitches and knitting garter stitch, then casting off 2 squares together with the wrong sides together, giving the right side the finishing edge. This is perfect for the project. It really shows off the garter stitch borders of each square and also allows me to adjust any squares that aren't quite the right size. I just add a row or 2 or garter stitch using the assembly yarn colour, Autumn Rose.
The photo above is of the progress to date. I'm still missing about 5 squares and am waiting for them to be delivered. Hopefully they aren't lost in the mail.
Here are a couple of closeups, as well.